I’ve been following a blog run by France Papillon for a couple of months. She does the most incredible art journaling! She also share her work process on YouTube under the title Journal on Monday (JoM).
Now she’s celebrating her 100th JoM video and has asked her followers to participate and share their work. At first I didn’t think of participating, but then I thought why not!? So, below is my contribution to the Journal on Monday celebration. This is also my first time sharing my art journal process… a bit scary…
I started doing art journals late this spring, so I consider myself still a newbie. I love it! I can finally enjoy creating without that stupid voice in my head saying it must be perfect, it have to be “right”. It’s the process, and exploring techniques, that matter… and go with the flow.
Anyway… I used my new Moleskine watercolour book, the small sized version of it. I’m also trying some new acrylic paint and the wording I’m going to use is: “Do more of what makes you happy”. I’ve found lately how important that really is. To reduce all the things you think you just must do.
First I applied some white gesso on both sides, through a Tim Holtz stencil, using a ordinary make-up sponge.
When that had dried, I went outside to add the fluid acrylics. First I sprayed the pages with water and then added the acrylics, two different greens and one light blue/turquoise. I also added more water so the colour would flow and spread over the pages.
When looking close you can see the gesso layer giving the spread a bit of texture. Since we’re at our summer cottage right now, and there aren’t so much room, I let the spread dry outside together with my other art journal, an altered book.
When everything was dry I’m trying out some embellishments. One of the embellishments is probably from our rowing boat. It’s a thick flake of colour I found at the bottom of the lake when taking a swim near the old boat house. I also decide to add some stamping with my homemade stamp. I’m using a somewhat iridescent turquoise hobby acrylic paint for that.
After that I added some Distressed Ink, the colour Vintage photo, around the edges.
Added some colour to the printed embellishments, using both water colour and acrylic. Both pictures can be found at The Graphics Fairy. I also added some stamping using bubble wrap and a screw cork from an old cream packaging.
This is how my spread looks when finished. After gluing everything down (for the big paint flake I had to use double sided tape), I added some colours with a pen around the fish, the swirl and the text.
I hope you like my spread and the process. I had a great time doing it and I think I gave the phrase “green fingers” a new meaning when I had finished it.
Looking forward to see what the other participants will be sharing.